_________ /\__ __\ \/_/\ \_/ \ \ \ _________ ___ _____ \ \ \ /\ ___ \ /\ \/ __ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ /_/\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \_\ \__ \ \ \__\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ /\________\ \ \________\ \ \__\ \ \__\ \/________/ \/________/ \/__/ \/__/ v1.6 -------------------- See my home page (http://joewing.calc.org) for more information on Ion and Ion programming. >Upgrade Note If you are upgrading from Ion v1.0 or Ion v1.1 please reset the RAM before installing this version. Do this by selecting [2nd] [+] [7] [1] [2] (TI-83 Plus) or [2nd] [+] [5] [1] [2] (TI-83). You may want to save your programs before doing this. This does not apply to those using Ion v1.2 or later. If you do not follow these instructions, your calculator will leak around 2k of RAM and may become unstable. >Background Ion is a shell for both the TI-83 Plus and the TI-83. It provides an efficient means for creating and using programs on both calculators. >Requirements A TI-83 or TI-83 Plus. A TI-Graph Link or equivalent. If you don't know what this is, you do not have one. This most likely did NOT come with your calculator. See www.ti.com or some other calculator web site for more information. >Installation Send ion.8xg to your TI-83 Plus or Send ion.83g to your TI-83. To send to your calculator using the Graph-Link software, select [Link|Send To|RAM] for the TI-83 Plus or [Link|Send] for the TI-83. Run prgmION. Now run prgmA any time you want to run Ion. You may delete prgmION and prgmIONZ if you like. However, if you plan on sending Ion to someone else's calculator, you must send those files to properly install Ion. >Description Ion is an assembly language shell for the TI-83 and the TI-83 Plus. Unlike other shells, this shell uses a new relocation method that allows assembly language programs to take advantage of all ROM calls, while also allowing any program to run with less than 40 bytes of free memory. It also uses an improved program format, which makes Ion programs smaller than either AShell or SOS programs. Here is a list of additional features: -Basic Shell Features -Allows any assembly language program to be run with less than 40 bytes of free memory. -Allows for modules, which allow one to customize the Ion interface. -Automatically detects assembly language programs. -Automatically moves programs to and from Flash as needed (TI-83 Plus only). -Allows external levels to be stored in Flash (TI-83 Plus only). -Contains a built in function library. -Program write-back. -Requires little memory. -Navigational Features -Allows for as many programs as your calculator can hold! -Eight programs visible at a time. -Right/Left arrow keys allow you to easily scroll through your programs. -Power Saving Features -Automatically powers down after a minute or so of inactivity. -Uses little power while active. >Keys Run program: [Y=] or [ENTER] Move cursor: [(up)] or [(down)] Next list: [(right)] Previous list: [(left)] Exit Ion: [MODE] Power Down: [ON] >Files The following files are included in ion.8?g -prgmION The Ion installer -prgmIONZ Data file for the installer -prgmZMINFO Status bar module >Notes/Troobleshooting -Please read this entire file throughly before asking for help or submitting a bug! -TI-83 and TI-83 Plus programs are not compatable at the binary level. You must send the correct program to your calculator if it is to work. TI-83 programs have the *.83p extension and TI-83 Plus programs have the *.8xp extension. -Ion should say "Ion Installed!" after being run. If it does not, you probably do not have enough free memory. -Although Ion can run programs from Flash (only on the TI-83 Plus, of course), it is recommended that you place the programs you use most often in RAM. There are two reasons for this: it is slower for Ion to swap between Flash and RAM every time a program is executed and it is not good for the Flash to be written to frequently. This isn't much to be concerned over, but it is good to keep in mind. -Modules must be located in RAM to run. -If a program that is stored in Flash refuses to run you probably do not have enough free RAM to execute it. Move some stuff out of RAM to make room for the program. -If you get a message asking to do a garbage collect in Ion, always select "yes" -External level files for most programs can be stored in Flash ROM (TI-83Plus). However, high scores etc, which may be stored with the external level, will be lost each time you exit the program or switch level sets. -See http://joewing.calc.org for more information. >Bugs This version of Ion should be bug-free. Nevertheless, there is always something I overlook! Before reporting bugs please read this document fully! Most "bug" reports I get are easily solved if only the user would read this document! If you do not give me enough information to find the problem your bug report will be ignored. The more information the better. Please email bug reports to joewing@calc.org with a subject of "Ion Bug Report". Thank you! >Misc Issues It is unlikely that Ion will cause your calculator any harm. However, I cannot be held responsible for any damage to your calculator. Afterall, Ion is freeware! >History Non-public releases are not documented. Project Started: 19990623 Version 1.0 <> 19990824 TI-83 size: 1746 bytes (less once installed) TI-83Plus size: 1801 bytes (less once installed) -First release! Version 1.1 <> 19991009 TI-83 size: 1741 bytes (1392 once installed) TI-83Plus size: 1804 bytes (1546 once installed) -Fixed the bug that caused the TI-83 version to eat memory if installed more than once. -Fixed the bug that caused the symbol table to become corrupt. -Fixed the problem with ionFastCopy that caused the screen to become garbled. -Now clears the graph screen on exit. -Fixed a bug in the TI-83 Plus version that caused some crashes. -Fixed a bug in the TI-83 Plus version that caused some programs to detect external levels incorrectly. Version 1.2 <> 19991121 TI-83 size: 1742 bytes (1420 once installed) TI-83Plus size: 1795 bytes (1571 once installed) NOTE: This version is not compatible with previous versions! Reset the RAM before installing by selecting [2nd] [+] [7] [1] [2] installing. You may want to save your programs first. -Fixed a bug that caused some crashes. -Added the ability to go to the previous list. Version 1.3 <> 20000101 - Ring in the new year with Ion! TI-83 size: 1764 bytes (1431 once installed) TI-83Plus size: 1783 bytes (1549 once installed) -Y2K OK -Major improvements to the module code. Forced restart now works properly and reruns all modules with keycode 1. Modules now run at the proper location on the TI-83 (fixes some crashes). Module detection number changed to a two (all modules must be reassembled)! -Improved program detection code; fixes the reinstall problems that occurred periodically. Version 1.4 <> 20000103 TI-83 size: 1592 bytes (1375 once installed) TI-83Plus size: 1725 bytes (1491 once installed) -Fixed a bug in the TI-83 Plus module code. -Added another module event: program selection. Program selection is code 2. -Now the bottom line of the Ion screen is blank unless a module is installed. zmInfo, included in ion.8xg and ion.83g, displays the standard bottom line. -Compensated for a bug in the TI-83 Plus ROM that caused running prgmA to have no effect sometimes. -Optimized a little more. Version 1.5 <> 20000519 TI-83 size: 1535 bytes (1318 once installed) TI-83Plus size: 1626 bytes (1392 once installed) -Improved the program loader. Now Ion is much smaller and more stable. -Fixed a bug that sometimes caused problems when running TI-83Plus archived programs. -Now external levels (for most programs) can be used from Flash ROM (TI-83Plus). Note that saving level data does not work when the level is in Flash ROM. Version 1.6 <> 20000617 TI-83 size: 1529 bytes (1312 once installed) TI-83Plus size: 1630 bytes (1396 once installed) -Fixed the bug in the ionDetect library routine which caused some programs to crash on the TI-83 Plus. Unfortunately, this added to the program size for the TI-83 Plus. -Shaved off a few bytes here and there. -The source code is now included. >Credits Thank you to the following people: -Dan Englender (aka Dulce) - Helped me immensely with figuring out TI-83 Plus oddities. He also tested Ion trillions of times. -Brandon Whaley (aka Red Picasso) - Gave me the information I needed to create Ion. -You, for using Ion! -All the people that encouraged me to finish this project. I'm sorry if I missed anyone! Joe Wingbermuehle http://joewing.calc.org