PS3JB v0.07.0001 Brandon Wilson >What is it? This is a FLASH application for the TI-84 Plus and TI-84 Plus Silver Edition that implements the PSGroove exploit for the Playstation 3 console. By connecting a USB cable between a PS3 and your calculator and running the application, you can trigger the PSGroove exploit from your graphing calculator. >How do I use it? First, back up any important variables on your calculator that you want to keep to your computer just in case something goes wrong. I'm not responsible if your RAM is reset by using this program! Next, transfer the "PS3JB.8XK" FLASH application to your TI-84 Plus or TI-84 Plus Silver Edition using the link software appropriate for your platform: Mac OS X: TI Connect Windows : TI Connect or TiLP Linux : TiLP For TI Connect under Windows, for example, you can run "TI DeviceExplorer" and drag-and-drop the file into the window, or right-click the file and choose "Send to TI Device." Once transferred, you should see "PS3JB" in your APPLICATIONS menu (by pressing the [APPS] key). Run the application by highlighting "PS3JB" and pressing [ENTER]. After the splash screen is displayed, press a key to get to the main menu: 1) PS3 Jailbreak 2) Install 3) Uninstall 4) View Log 5) Options 6) About To jailbreak the PS3 with the PSGroove exploit, select option 1. Next, make sure your PS3 is OFF (as in unplugged/switched off in the back) and that no other USB devices are connected, and connect one end of a USB cable to your PS3 and the other end to your calculator. Then switch on or plug back in your PS3, and tap the POWER button quickly followed by the EJECT button. This causes the PS3 to look for USB devices, specifically the calculator. If you selected option 1, the calculator should display the current status at the bottom of the LCD and then "Done" to indicate the exploit was successful. Once the exploit is successful, you should see an "Install Package Files" option under Game in the XMB. If the exploit is NOT successful and "Done" isn't displayed, press [ON] to exit the application and try the above steps again. >Do I have to run the application every time I want to apply the jailbreak? You do have to trigger the exploit every time the PS3 boots, but you don't have to run the application. By selecting option 2 ("Install") and exiting the application, the exploit will automatically trigger no matter where you are in the calculator's OS. The PS3 will automatically power on the calculator if necessary, and the calculator will turn off after about 5 minutes of inactivity (configurable through the options). Note that while the jailbreak OS "hook" is installed, you will not be able to link to your computer using a direct USB cable; uninstall it first by selecting option 3 ("Uninstall")! >It didn't work! You may need to try a couple of times before it works. Make sure the PS3 is powered completely off first and that you press POWER and then EJECT immediately afterward (within 200ms of each other). >Do I have to keep the calculator connected once it says "Done"? No, you can disconnect it once you're at the XMB. >How do I use a different payload? Obtain a TI-84 Plus/Silver Edition AppVar containing the payload's data and transfer it to your calculator. (It can either be in RAM or you can archive it; it doesn't matter.) Once on the calculator, specify you want the jailbreak to use that external payload (known as the "stage 1" payload) by going into the 5) Options menu and using [LEFT] and [RIGHT] arrows to select it, then choose "Save." These options are stored in an AppVar called "PS3JBOPT". It would be wise to archive this so you don't have to re-apply the options whenever your RAM resets. >How do I create one of these payload AppVars? You can use the converter at http://brandonw.net/crap/to8xv.zip to encapsulate a binary file of payload data in an AppVar variable for tansferring to your calculator. This is a command-line VB.NET 2.0 program; if you don't like it, create your own using the file format specification on ticalc.org. >How do I make this work on a different firmware version? In addition to using a different payload, you'll also have to use a "firmware compatibility" AppVar full of settings that make the jailbreak work on versions other than the default 3.41. Details for this are at http://brandonw.net/ps3jb/ . >What about the source code? The source code is included in the /source/ folder. The latest version can also be found at http://brandonw.net/svn/calcstuff/PS3JB/trunk/. >What do I do with this /source/ folder? If you don't know, nothing. >What if I have questions about any of this? First, try the FAQ at http://brandonw.net/ps3jb/ and see if your question is answered there. If not, try e-mailing me at brandonlw@gmail.com or looking for me on IRC as "BrandonW" on EFNet. >Version History v0.07.0001 - Minor bug fixes: The graph screen is no longer blank upon exiting the application. The hook was being automatically installed when selecting 1) PS3 Jailbreak and exiting; this has been fixed. It's just generally more likely to work. v0.06.0001 - Added support for "firmware compatibility" AppVars that have firmware-independent settings to make the jailbreak work on firmware versions other than 3.41. Added the ability to automatically turn off the device after a certain number of seconds, configurable from the options menu. Added the ability to disable connection of the last device (device 6) during the jailbreak, configurable from the options menu. v0.05.0001 - Added Install/Uninstall options for jailbreak hook, enabling use within the TI-OS and outside the application itself. Added external payload support and an options menu to select a custom payload ("stage 1"). Added AsbestOS support and a custom stage 1/2 payload from the options menu. Miscellaneous bug fixes. v0.02.0001 - Increased homebrew compatibility. v0.01.0002 - initial release.