Dying Eyes v1.0 for ION 83 (+) or MirageOS ----------- By Alex Highsmith (moonbeem@ix.netcom.com -- KuraiKat on IRC) For Amber (watashi no akara! *^_^*) 83/ION Port by Sam Heald (sam@calc.org ; void.calc.org) *Note about running on TI83+. This program is very large, but it has been specially modified to run on the 83+. In order to fit this program on your calculator, your RAM has to be almost entirely clear. Only "A", "oION", and "DEADEYES" need to be in the RAM (or nothing if you're using MirageOS). That should allow you 300-400 bytes free. My apologies, but the original 82 version was even bigger than this. I cut about 500 bytes off just to get it this size. I do not plan to do anymore optimization. If you choose to archive this program, you need enough memory in the RAM to execute it. Enjoy the first true TI-83+ RPG!!! Updates: *Modified to work with MirageOS* *Ported to ION!!!* *Ported to the 83* v1.2: Added the attack deselect, so if you pick attack..you can deselect it. Added some difficulty fixes..(faith armor was too easy to get)...(last leader was too easy to kill) v1.1: Added key delay (keypresses were going too fast in battle, fixed bug during town fight (text was left on screen during battle), added ability to view weapon+armor strength and medkit/magkits in stat screen. Updated text file :) v1.0: Released Dying Eyes Composed during hours of darkness while listening to The Cure, Bauhaus, Fields of the Nephilim, Nosferatu, and other such bands I. Introduction II. Story III. Game Play/Controls -- IMPORTANT. IV. Spells V. Skills VI. FAQ (warning, secrets, may ruin game!!!) VII. Known Bugs VIII. Thanks I. Introduction ---------------- Dying Eyes is my second "massive" ASM game, attempting to far out-do FFX4. :) It has a fairly non-linear plot, meaning you can go places before it's time...and figuring out what to do isnt always as simple as talking to a King. I included an FAQ, just in case that's too much for you. ;P I wouldnt suggest reading it right away, the game is more fun without it. I hope you enjoy Dying Eyes, and find it to be the best TI-8x RPG yet... ~Alex "Kurai" Highsmith II. Story ------------ The storyline starts as you start the game...but a little prehand knowledge: You are Kurai, a horrible murderer who ravaged the countryside. You got thrown in prison (no, you did not get anal raped), and expected to rot there forever. The only reason you didnt take to the knife or noose and end it all, is your lover Akara, a single thread to the outside world. Then one day... III. Game Controls ------------------- ARROW KEYS: Move ya around...what did you expect? 2nd: Affirms most everything, brings up stat screen in overhead map DEL: De-affirm, exit menus, etc.. CLEAR: Exits game, can't exit during battle, so you know. ***** You can only save your game at the INN. Why do i do this? It's simply easier...I wouldnt let you save in a dungeon anyways..and it takes about 5 secs to walk to an inn in the overworld map. You do not need to stay at the inn, which costs money, to save your game..just exit the Inn screen when you talk to the man and you will be prompted to the Save Game Screen. (much like Final Fantasy 1 for Nintendo). That's it for controls, remember...you NEVER NEED TO PRESS ENTER! You can keep your hand arched in a gameboy-like position all day.. :) The only time your fingers dare brush with the bottom of your calc is when a decision requires pressing 1 or 2. Aside from that, 2nd acts as ENTER normally would, advancing the screen along when it's paused. IV. Spells ----------- You learn spells depending on your intelligence. Heal: Your basic heal-me-up spell. Cures 90HP MP: 5 Burn: Light Fire Damage. Does about 40 damage MP: 6 Star: Medium Cosmos Damage. Does 110 damage MP: 20 Rage: Raises attack damage to end of battle MP: 24 Sire: Lasting Darkness Damage. Does 190 damage MP: 32 Rock: Raises Defense to end of battle MP: 24 Haste: Heightens speed to end of battle MP: 75 Doom: Ultimate Death Damage. Does 500 damage MP: 55 V. Skills ---------- Dying Eyes has a variety of skills, similar to FF7's..but for a calc. :) CutAll: Slashes all enemies, slightly weaker than normal slash MP: 12 Regen: Gives back life after every strike MP: 25 HP<-->MP: Switches HP and MP MP: 0 Smke: Let's you automatically flee from battle MP: 8 ReLife: Brings you back to life if you die MP: 50 Build: Doubles strength of next attack MP: 10 Xfrm: Rearranges enemies MP: 0 Steal: Let's you steal a MedKit or MagiKit MP: 13 VI. FAQ Frequently Asked Questions ---------------------------------- Q.) I can't kill the Xtech soldier! Help! A.) He should be easy to kill if your strength is around 30-40. Try using Build or Burn for an easy fight. Dont let your HP dip below 40. Q.) I killed the townsman, but the west cave is locked...i cant get to Kiata. A.) I guess you didnt listen to what he said before you killed him...go back to the casltle dungeon, and search the cell south of yours. The key to the west cave is there. Q.) I can't seem to kill the corpse or the spider that guards the exit of the west cave! A.) Try buying some armor, usually works for me. Q.) Where is the faith sword? A.) To get the faith sword, a needed item in the game, first talk to the man south of Kiata. He will give you the neccessary key to get to the Faith Cave, a little west of Kiata. Go in there, and retrieve the faith sword. Q.) The bandits stole the sword! Now what do i do? A.) Go get it from them. :) To do this, look for the castle nestled in the far west mountains. Getting into the castle requires finding the hidden switch. Q.) I got the faith sword, but is there any Faith Armor? A.) yes! The Faith Armor is the best armor in the game, but can only be found by searching the overworld map at the end of the game...good luck in finding it. It also houses the secret leader.. :) Q.) I'm at the last dungeon, and cant find Akara or the leader anywhere. A.) You must flip a switch in one of rooms. Take the right stairway. Q.) The game is too hard!!! A.) Although Dying Eyes isnt too hard of a game, there are some ways to make it easier. Using Medkits and MagiKits a lot helps. Having weapons and armor, particulalry armor, can make the game a lot easier. If you can get past a certain part, try building a few levels so you have more points to spend on attributes. VII. Known Bugs ----------------- There arent really any, except that the status screen doesnt show your weapon strength or armor strength, but those arent really errors...you also cant see how many med or mag kits you have, but since they're so cheap at 30g, i didn't feel like adding that in. The game is HUGE! I might put in compression and optimizations when I have more time. VIII. Thanks ------------- In no order: Bill Nagel, Alphasoft, Amber, anyone else I borrowed stuff from...you know who you are.