________________________ | Phantom Star v.0.81b | |______________________| By Joe Pemberton joe@joepnet.com 1) Introduction ....................................................... 23 2) Contents of this ZIP file .......................................... 33 3) Requirements ....................................................... 47 4) Keys ............................................................... 54 5) Powerups ........................................................... 80 6) Scoring ............................................................ 97 7) External Levels .................................................... 115 8) Contact the Author ................................................. 124 9) Credits ............................................................ 134 10) History ........................................................... 150 _______________________________ Introduction | Phantom Star is a fast paced side scrolling shoot-em-up for the TI-83 and TI-83+. It is set in space. There is no real storyline to speak of; the only objective is to blast through each treacherous level as fast as possible. Phantom Star is capable of supporting external levels, and documentation will be provided in the near future for level developers that wish to make their own levels. _______________________________ Contents of this ZIP file | (Modified to simplify, X next to name means Included) X readme.txt - This text file levelformat.txt - A simple file documenting the header syntax for external levels keys.inc - Key equates, required for assembling Phantom Star ion.inc - Ion equates, required for assembling Phantom Star X phantom.8xp - 83+/SE version of Phantom Star X phantom.83p - 83 version of Phantom Star phantom_vti.8xp - 83+ version of Phantom Star for running on VTI phantom_vti.83p - 83 version of Phantom Star for running on VTI *.z80 - Sources to Phantom Star _______________________________ Requirements | You must have an 83, 83+ or 83+ Silver Edition with either ION or an ION-compatible shell installed and around 11k of free RAM to run Phantom Star. You can find ION at www.ticalc.org. _______________________________ Keys | Title Menu: 2nd - Start Game Clear - Quit XTON - Inverse Screen +/- - Change Contrast Left - Previous level Right - Next level Up - Next Highscore Down - Previous Highscore Main Game: 2nd - Shoot Clear - Quit Del - Save and Quit Mode - Pause XTON - Inverse Screen +/- - Change Contrast Arrows - Maneuver Ship Pause Screen: Enter - Continue _______________________________ Powerups | When you destroy an enemy, there is a 1 in 4 chance that a powerup will appear. There are six different kinds of powerups. Shield Powerup - Looks like a lightning bolt. Replenishes your shields by 4 points. Weapon Powerup - Looks like a gun. Increases the power of your weapon. You can get six weapon powerups. Helper Ship Powerup - Looks like a small ship. The first one will give you a small helper ship, the subsequent ones will upgrade the helper ship's weapon. 10 Powerup - Looks like a rotating "10". Gives you 10 points 5 Powerup - Looks like a rotating "5". Gives you 5 points 1 UP Powerup - Alternates between "1" and "UP". Gives you another life _______________________________ Scoring | The scoring system works as follows. Normal Enemy - 5 points Boss - 50 points Shield Powerup - 1 point Weapon Powerup - 1 point 5 Powerup - 5 points Helper Ship Powerup - 1 point 10 Powerup - 10 points Extra Life Powerup - 1 point When you lose a life, your score will decrease by 100 points. At the end of the game, you will be awarded 100 points for each life you have left. You will also be awarded points for completing the levelset within a time limit. _______________________________ External Levels | Phantom Star supports external levels. However, documentation has not yet been released for those who wish to make their own levels, and will not be released until Phantom Star releases version 1.0. If you wish to make your own levels now, take a look at mylevel.z80 and levelequ.z80 and see if you can figure it out on your own ;) levelformat.txt can also help explain the level header format. _______________________________ Contact the Author | There are several ways to contact me. The first is by email. My current email address is joe@joepnet.com, but that might change in the near future. If that email address doesn't work, you can try pembertp@attbi.com. The second way is by AOL Instant Messenger. My s/n is "zero sicness", and I am usually online all day (mostly idle, but leave a message). The third is via IRC. Look on EFNet in #tcpa, #maxcoderz and #calc for Joe_P. _______________________________ Credits | I would like to thank several people that were helpful in the making of Phantom Star. - Joel Seligstein, for putting up with my ravings while optomizing things and actually brainstorming for algorithms with me. - Dan Rogers and Durk Kingma for helping me nail some bugs - Brian Walker, for encouraging me to make the very first version of Phantom Star - The regulars at the Maxcoderz forum (you know who you are), for providing me with plenty of ideas ;) - Everyone in #tcpa for testing Phantom Star and giving me feedback _______________________________ History | 1/18/2002 - A bug created by my previous bug fix got fixed :) 1/07/2002 - Crash bug fixed (thanks Durk) 01/02/2002 - Phantom Star v.0.8 released